Early Space Server Planning
So in an earlier thread we voted to make an Early Space Colonization themed server as our first server of the year, though this didn't quite happen as the ever amazing Djzman (who we will miss as he's recently left us) put up his neat fantasy-themed server Worlds of Yonder, stealing the title of first server of 2015.
However, fear not for the early space server is NOT dead in the water! This thread is being made now so that we can begin to coordinate how to construct and operate it, I'd especially like to assemble a team of people to help get it built because I feel if this is going to be of a quality worthy of the Sci-Fi Mini Builders we're going to need all the help we can get at building a massive, detailed, and pretty nice looking map (all while also trying not to lag ourselves into oblivion).
One thing we should note is that this will NOT be our next server just due to what I feel is likely to be entailed with planning and building it, so we will be going with a quicker to build server while we sort this out which you can find out about over here.
Where to begin?
Well, in the earlier thread I believe these are some of the details we had kind of concluded on or at least began to discuss:
- The server should focus on Mars, its moons, the asteroid belt, Jupiter, and the Gallilean moons;
- The server should take place in an early point in human space exploration in which there is not major sophisticated space weaponization, planetary terraforming is at an early stage, and there is still much in this early region of space exploration to settle and explore;
- The server should be limited to a handful of approved nations to keep RP realistic (e.g., Jamaica is not likely to be able to sustain a sophisticated space program nor is it likely to be capable of claiming a large chunk of Europa);
- Players should be able to join the server as a company, charity, or other private or possibly public initiative for space under the flag of an approved nation - as opposed to each joining as their own nation - with potentially admin-approved players being given permission to oversee these nations and their interests in space;
- Players should, at least in RP, begin the server around Mars and, should they wish to, head outward towards the asteroid belt and the Jovian system.
First off I think we should figure out how we're going to build the map? I know we've already begun to have a bit of discussion about some possible styles for the asteroids, which I think the asteroid belt is definitely going to be the trickiest part because we have to be able to maintain a fair quality, ensure people can build on the asteroids, while also ensuring we maintain a fair number (not too many not too few) without also lagging ourselves into oblivion.